Wednesday, October 17, 2012

the truth about . . . Bindergate


(In my rapping yet singing voice) I've got *oes in different area codes. I wasn't sure if I was listening to Luda featuring Nate Dogg or a presidential candidate lay out his plan on combating wage discrimination. Once Mitt Romney declared "we have binders full of women" I thought "wow having binders full of women will definitely ensure that I am paid a fair and equal wage in comparison to my male counterpart". The problem with Mitt Romney and men like him and is that he lives in the "bubble". Stating employers will have to hire women in his new economy is like saying employers have to hire Black people - there's just so many of them. 

"We’re going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I’m going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they’re going to be anxious to hire women."

For argument sake lets just say in this "new economy" employers are eager to hire women. What about the current employers that don't  pay women what they pay men. Mitt Romney for some reason believes that decades of inequality are some how going to disappear because he is the president. Talk about ignorance coupled with arrogance.

Bindergate is the lie we can prevent Mitt from continuing to tell. "Equal work for equal pay" is just about as important to him as head start, birth control and Big Bird - which all happen to effect women. Just because Mitt has one (a mother and a wife) doesn't mean he cares about all of our issues and no man does. My issue with him is that he doesn't care enough to change the policies.


No comments:

Post a Comment